Friday, June 11, 2010

Ranger's Apprentice Book One by John Flanagan ★

The entire time I was reading Eragon and half of Eldest (yes, that's as far as I got) this is the book that I'd wished I was reading.  Not that there are any dragons but the epic "Lord of the Rings" adventure is all here without any of  the droning Paolini (or Tolkienian) descriptions of dwarves, fauna and languages.  Finally a series to modernize Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles.  Again, not that it has anything to do with a boy who keeps pigs or black cauldrons . . . What it does have is plenty of action, adventure and plot for the most disinterested young reader with at least a penchant for fantasy.  Despite working with somewhat cliche themes and characters the book is fast paced and very well written.  This is a series that I will keep reading!

3 comments:

  1. Yea or neah for Rebecca? Glad your doing this. Seems to fit you and thanks. Maybe I'll be inspired to read something as I've not read a book in awhile. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely appropriate for her but I'm not sure if she would be interested in the content. It's mostly about a boy learning how to throw knives, use a bow and spy on people. Hope you find a good book to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Rebecca might like the Uglies or Beastly.

    ReplyDelete