Sunday, July 24, 2011

Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White ★

Belle Prater's Boy
by Ruth White
January 1998
Yearling

"Think of all the millions of dawns this old world has seen, " Woodrow said.  "But it will never be this same one again . . . or that same one when she left."

Never have I read a book that made me want so badly to return to my own childhood.  I think this was due in part to Ruth White's wonderful descriptions of small town life in West Virginia in 1953, and partly the fact that the feelings that we possess and the friendships that we make as children are in so many ways stronger and truer than those we have as adults.  This is the story of two cousins, Woodrow, a cross-eyed, but very clever boy and Gypsy, the local beauty.  Through their close friendship, both cousins learn to deal with tragic losses and move on with their lives.  I know I say this every time I read an award winning book, but this one truly deserved the Newbery!  I highly recommend this as a fantastic discussion book for young children and their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment