Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Shape of Desire by Sharon Shinn

The Shape of Desire (Shifting Circle, Book 1)
by Sharon Shinn
April 2012
Ace Hardcover

What I have is so precious, so intense, such an essential part of my life, that I would not give it up for any inducement.  If I tried, or if someone forced me to, I truly believe I would die.

Sharon Shinn and I have a complicated relationship.  I always think her ideas for her stories are wonderful and intriguing which leads me to pick up the book and begin reading.  Unfortunately, the execution isn't exactly my style.  Shinn takes her readers on a relaxed journey through the lives of her characters that rarely accumulates much tension, making her a wonderful fantasist for readers who enjoy a little slice of life with their magic and mystery.

I picked this particular novel up because this book begins a new series about shapeshifters.  Maria Davane has been desperately in love with Dante Romano for fifteen years.  Unfortunately, he spends more of his life as an animal than as a human, leaving Maria only a few days each month with her lover.  But none of that is enough to keep her from loving Dante and looking forward to his visits as a human.  Due to his nature, however, Maria has been lying to everyone around her for years about him and their relationship.  When a string of strange animal attacks occur near her home, however, Maria is forced to consider who it is she's lying to and whether she really knows anything about this man at all.

Readers who enjoy a leisurely stroll through their fantasy should be huge fans of Shinn's work.  If you enjoy books about shapeshifters, check out this list of other paranormal fiction.

Shifting Circle Novels
The Shape of Desire
Still Life With Shapeshifter (TBR October 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment