Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison

This book was advertised as "Beauty and the Beast retold - but the Beast is a woman."  So I was expecting something more along the lines of Gail Carson Levine's Fairest, but it was more like Mercedes Lackey's Firebird or Orson Scott Card's Enchantment.  Which probably explains Card's front cover plug - that and the fact that the author is LDS.  This book reads more like a Grimm fairy tale than do most young adult fairy tale romances written in our day.  A little dark, a little more subtle and ultimately a little twisted at the end.  In summary - a moody prince and an unwanted princess agree to marry for peace between their kingdoms.  But the Prince's forbidden magic and the Princess's strange, but beautiful hound make things a little more complicated than they ever could have imagined. 

And with this book I think I'm ready to leave young adult fantasy for awhile.  :)  We'll see how long my resolve lasts.  If anyone has any suggestions for books wildly outside my "comfort zone", please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment