Monday, March 19, 2012

Shadowcry by Jenna Burtenshaw

Shadowcry (The Secrets of Wintercraft, Book 1)
by Jenna Burtenshaw
June 2011
Greenwillow Books

A deathly curse.  An ancient secret.  Those who wish to see the dark, be ready to pay your price.

The price of a major headache from constantly rolling your eyes while reading this book.  Before I say another negative word, I would like to point out that I was interested enough in knowing what was going to happen to the characters that I got through the entire book in a few hours (with a little skimming).

Kate Winters has been living peacefully with her Uncle in their little bookshop throughout Albion's war.  Things aren't going well, however, and wardens have begun to seek special recruits known as "the skilled" in order to aid them in the war effort.  Kate never thought she had anything to fear from these wardens, until the day she raised a blackbird from the dead.  Now Kate must walk through the veil, run from captors, and ultimately make a deal with a murderer in order to save those she loves most.

If it wasn't for the bland, contradictory characters or the countless escape attempts followed almost immediately by capture, this might have been a more enjoyable book as the concept is interesting and the world is well built.  The biggest flaw with this book, however, may have been just how much I loved the dark, villainous murderer.  I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to like him, but by the end of the book I was head over heels.  If the next book continues his story, then you can count me in!  Otherwise . . . sorry, but you're on your own Kate.

The Secrets of Wintercraft
Shadowfell
Blackwatch (TBR June 2012)
Legacy (TBR 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment