Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

I've just spent the last few days completely absorbed in the world of Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series where MacKayla Lane is fighting faery to save humankind.  I have very mixed feelings about this for the following reasons:

1.  The author's name.  Yes, I KNOW it's pronounced mawning as in rhymes with yawning, but it looks an awful lot like moaning.  This is a problem because . . .
2.  I don't usually do "romance novels".  Don't get me wrong - a good romance is essential if I'm going to stay hooked on a series.  Call me a prude, but what I try to stay away from are heaving bosoms and ripped bodices.  Especially the ones that exist as the entire plot and purpose of the novel.  Unfortunately, Moning is a great fan of the genre as evidenced by the "death-by-sex fae" running amok in this series.  I mean, seriously?!  These books would almost have been clean without the super-gorgeous-makes-you-want-to-strip-in-their-presence fairies.  Was this entirely necessary?  I'm thinking not.  Was this entirely fan service?  I'm thinking yes.
3.  Due to the rampant sexuality and language in these books, I would never recommend them.  Not to a little sister or daughter, at least.  But for the sake of being perfectly honest . . .

I love these books!  This series introduces a spunky, pink-loving, all american, deep south, fun loving gal who is thrown into the dark, twisted world of fairies and druids as mankind makes a last stand for rule of the Earth.  To sum up my feelings: fun and absolutely addictive, I can hardly wait to read the final installment of the series- but I would never put these on my shelves at home.

The Fever Series (Loosely connected to her Highlander Series but I've never read them.)
Darkfever
Bloodfever
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever (TBR January 2011)

2 comments:

  1. While reading this series . . . sleeping, eating and potty-breaks were non-existant. I was even tempted to put "puppy-diapers" on my terriers, so I didn't have to take them outside! I read four books in five days. I'm not usually drawn to "modern" time-settings and I don't like "fae" folk. They're evil, unpredictable and disregard any rules.

    I was absolutely enthralled with this series. I've been thinking about it for days ~ trying to figure out what it is about this "modern-day"; end of mankind; fae vs. human storyline. . . the characters are equally strong, but Mac learns that she is made of more "fight" than "fluff". Her spunky "pink" attitude gives her resilience as she struggles with deep personal loss; two near-deaths (maybe more); being "stalked" by fae. . . all while trying to save the world without knowing any of the rules. Mac has an abundance of hope. No matter how bad the situation, she keeps trying. I think this was the connecting factor for me. Despite the fantasy, the story is believable. To the point that I am having trouble turning off my lights at night.

    This series is definitely an adult-read. The language: I've never read a book with so many "F" words. The sex: TMI (too much information)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I completely agree with you! I'm so glad I read this series over Christmas break so Tyler was home to watch the baby and cook meals and encourage me to take potty breaks and possibly shower or maybe even sleep. I'm so glad you enjoyed the series! I read these a few months ago and I still consider leaving the lights on sometimes . . .

    ReplyDelete