Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The 10 p.m. Question by Kate De Goldi

When Kate De Goldi set out to write about "the complexity and hilarity in the everyday business of being human" she had no idea she was writing the story of my life.  I picked up this book because twelve year old Frankie worries about everything - whether the smoke alarm batteries need replaced, if the rash on his chest is cancerous and what to do if the world ends and the family's 72 hour kits aren't up to date.  He shoulders immense responsibility and worries about all the small details that the rest of his family seems happy enough to ignore completely in their own carefree manner.  Unable to sleep due to the unending list of worries Frankie has, he ends up in his Mom's room every night around 10 p.m. asking her questions about bird flu and whether or not he's normal.  I myself am an extreme worrier and although Frankie's plight was sometimes humorous, it was mostly horrifying seeing myself in print and embodied in a twelve year old boy.  Regardless, Frankie's insights and some of the ways he ends up coping with his worry were helpful.  If nothing else, it made me realize that 1.) Maybe I'm not as alone as I think I am when I'm lying awake at night worrying and 2.) Life is to be lived - not micromanaged and worried over.  If you're an obsessive compulsive worrier, this book is for you.  If you didn't even know your house HAD smoke detectors, you'd probably be happier reading something else.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so good! Thanks for this review, I now have that book on hold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know what you think after you read it. With any luck we won't end up like Frankie's mother . . .

    ReplyDelete