Monday, December 13, 2010

Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

An underprivileged girl on her own, gentlemen with dark secrets, a madwoman in the attic, whispers and rumors of a haunted mansion in the country . . . if any of this sounds familiar to you, you've probably read Jane Eyre . . . or Magic Under Glass - Jaclyn Dolamore's debut young adult novel.  While much of this book felt overly familiar and seemed to draw very heavily on Charlotte Bronte's classic, there were some new twists and unique elements (such as a cursed fairy prince and evil sorcerers) that kept the book interesting and engaging.  It's definitely worth a read if you're a fan of gothic fantasy though I warn you (as I was not) judging from the ending, this seems to be book one.  Although according to the author's website, there are not currently any plans for a sequel.**

** Jaclyn Dolamore has corrected my bad eyesight (see comments)  and assured me that there is indeed a sequel!  My apologies for not reading her page more carefully.  See her website for more details as they're released.  http://www.jaclyndolamore.com/

2 comments:

  1. I guess you just missed it, but my website does say there is a sequel, Magic Under Stone, coming in 2012. I just don't have much information up yet because it's too early for a cover, concrete release date, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my blog! Probably what happened is I saw that you had a book coming out in 2011 and immediately investigated it on Amazon. Must have never made it to the bottom of the page. :) Thanks so much for letting us know! I'm very much looking forward to hearing more about Erris!

    ReplyDelete