Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls Book 1)
by Ally Carter
March 2007
Hyperion Book CH

The Gallagher Academy for Excetional Young Women is a fairly typical all-girls school - that is, it would be if every school taught advanced marital arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class.


I really wanted to label this one as a children's book*, but that's a very difficult thing to do when the main character is fifteen years old.  While the premise of this book is very young adult, the silly spy paraphernalia (think Inspector Gadget) and lack of any real suspense or plot outside the squeaky clean romance made this more a book for tweens than teens in my opinion.  That said, I did enjoy the read and may even read other books in the series.  It is more likely, however, that I will try one of Ally Carter's other books instead, such as Heist Society, which was a YALSA Teens' Top Ten in 2010.  I would still recommend this book, however, to younger girls who are in between Nancy Drew and true young adult books such as The Gemma Doyle Trilogy.

The Gallagher Girls Series
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You
Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy
Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover
Only the Good Spy Young

*Reclassified as Tween

No comments:

Post a Comment