Friday, January 20, 2012

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich ★

Wicked Appetite (Book 1)
by Janet Evanovich
September 2010
St. Martin's Press

Seven Stones of Power.  No one knows when they were created or by whom, each said to represent one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Being a huge fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, I was very excited to read this, the first book in a new, somewhat supernatural series.  In order to perfectly convey to you my feelings on this book I've written multiple reviews.  Simply skip to the heading that best describes you.

If you've never read a book by Janet Evanovich before:
You're in for a real treat because this is chick lit at its best!  Lizzy Tucker has recently relocated to Salem, Massachusetts where she is now working in a pastry shop making cupcakes.  The most exciting thing in her life is her struggle to get her cookbook published so she can fix up the home she just inherited from her Aunt.  While this sounds somewhat interesting, it's not novel worthy, which is why Lizzy is suddenly thrown into the hunt for the seven stones of power, each of which represent one of the deadly sins.  And of course it wouldn't be chick lit without the manly protector (whose sweat could probably be used as cologne) as well as a cast of eccentric characters that keep the book quirky, funny, and entertaining to the very last page!

If you've read one or two books by Janet Evanovich and didn't like them:
Do not read this book.  That is all.

If you've read every book Janet Evanovich has ever published:
Reread your favorite Stephanie Plum book, substituting new names for the following characters.

Stephanie Plum - Lizzy
Morelli - A little bit of Diesel
Ranger - Gerwulf Grimoire (pffft)
Diesel - Diesel (yes, the same guy from the holiday novellas)
Lula - Glo

I could go on, but you get it.  On the other hand, if you've already read every Stephanie Plum book out there you obviously aren't interested in original, inspirational fiction.  In fact, I'd even go so far as to guess that you actually LIKE this particular formulaic approach to writing.  Well if that's the case . . . then join the club!  I love it too and I very much enjoyed this fast, mindless read that puts a slightly new twist on chick lit as well as the paranormal.  I can't wait to read book two!

Books in the Wicked Series (Lizzy and Diesel)
Wicket Appetite
Wicked Business (TBR June 2012)

2 comments:

  1. Heather, you crack me up! I'm not a huge Janet Evanovich fan (my favorite chick lit author is Jennifer Weiner) but you've intrigued me now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Glad to hear it! I still need to try some Jennifer Weiner. I know you've mentioned her before.

    ReplyDelete