Friday, April 27, 2012

Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter

Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, Book 1)
by Gena Showalter
May 2005
Downtown Press

There's beauty in her strength ~ and danger in her desires.

Hands down, one of the worst books I've read recently.  I think I might finally be done with Gena Showalter.  I have tried to get through so many of  her books and have never made it more than half way.  In a way I suppose that means this book wasn't all that bad considering I finished it . . . interesting thought.

Mia Snow is an alien huntress working for A.I.R. (Alien Investigation and Removal) in a world where many alien races now live and work with humans.  As a self proclaimed, sexy kick-a first grade b*tch, Mia has always dominated her mostly male workplace (which is full of fabulously handsome men who absolutely adore her).  While investigating a series of murders, however, her super sexy, very strong, kind and thoughtful human partner (who she would never sleep with because he isn't good enough) is fatally injured and Mia must find a way to save him.  Enter Kyrin en Arr, a gorgeous alien prince with the power to save Mia's partner . . . for a price.

If you think you might ever read this book you should probably stop reading here . . . 

This is obviously meant to be an edgy romance novel with aliens as sexual partners to spice things up a bit.  While this paranormal lover formula has totally worked for other authors I couldn't stop myself from periodically screaming "How does he have the right equipment for this?!"  at the book.  I'm just not sure how these aliens managed to be umm err compatible with humans.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's just a book.  It's fiction.  Right?

I can deal with that.  I love fiction.  But this book crosses the bounds of fiction and into the world of delusional with its twisted concept of feminism.  This book fulfills some kind of female dominance fantasy in that Mia Snow is the strongest character in the book and holds power over all she meets.  She displays this by not only beating up all the bad aliens, but also her co-workers, friends, and even her lover.  Seriously?!  These men are just going to take that kind of abuse?  I don't care how attractive she is, if women aren't supposed to put up with physical and verbal abuse, then why should men?

Above all, I guess I simply couldn't identify with any of the characters nor could I get over the *ewww* factor involved every time I tried to contemplate how an alien/human pairing was possible.  I do want to thank Gena Showalter, however, for writing this book so that I could add it to my paranormal romance reading list as one of the very few books out there written about alien/human relationships.

Alien Huntress Series
Awaken Me Darkly
Enslave Me Sweetly
Savor Me Slowly
Seduce the Darkness
Ecstasy in Darkness
Dark Taste of Rapture

Young Adult Spinoff Series
Red Handed
Blacklisted

Short Story
Deep Kiss of Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment