Monday, April 16, 2012

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry ★

The Lace Reader
by Brunonia Barry
July 2008
William Morrow

My name is Towner Whitney.  No, that's not exactly true.  My real first name is Sophya.  Never believe me.  I lie all the time . . . 

If Amazon.com reviews are any indication, this is one of those books that you either love, or love to hate.  I myself had a very hard time getting into this one, but persevered due to my fascination with the setting as well as the intriguing characters.

It has been years since Towner Whitney last set foot in her hometown of Salem, Massachusetts.  Although she comes from a long line of Salem lace readers, Towner has never affiliated with the other mystically gifted women in town.  When two women go missing, however, Towner is drawn back to Salem to confront the truth behind her twin sister's death and bring her killer to justice.  There is not much more that I can tell you about this book without giving its secrets away, but know that while you may think you understand what is going on in these pages, you don't.  And you won't until the end.  With a rich, haunting setting and characters that ultimately reveal such depth that you want to start the book over as soon as it ends, I highly recommend The Lace Reader and hope that you too will make it to the shocking conclusion.


If you liked The Lace Reader, but also enjoy chick lit that make you laugh out loud, try Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich.

No comments:

Post a Comment