Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Frog Prince by Elle Lothlorien ★

The Frog Prince
by Elle Lothlorien
September 2011
CreateSpace

Someday your prince will come.  Sort of.

I bought this book for my little sister's birthday a few months ago thinking she might enjoy it since it was topping the chick lit charts at the time.  If you think that's impressive, consider the fact that this book, which is Lothlorien's debut novel, is self-published!  Despite all the positive reviews, I have to admit I didn't trust it's indie status and honestly didn't think I was giving my sister a great book.  A few weeks later, however, my sister marched through my front door, shoved the book in my face and said "You HAVE to read this!"  So I did . . . and I totally loved it!

When Leigh Fromm treads on a handsome stranger's foot at her great aunt's wake she has no idea that the bleeding man is actually Prince Roman Habsburg von Lorraine, the would-have-been king of Austria.  Due to Austria's current system of government, Roman will never be King, and chooses instead to spend his time in a self-imposed exile in Denver, Colorado building tree houses and dancing like a star.  But Leigh doesn't mind hanging out with this handsome, delicious-smelling, phoney prince of Austria.  After all, he'll never be real royalty, right?  Right?

This romantic comedy has all the makings of a major film deal.  I honestly don't know how Lothlorien did it. I spent the first third of the book completely disgusted by the perfect guy who could do everything from dance like Patrick Swayze to fly his own airplane and his beautiful, model of a girlfriend who was brilliant but a total klutz.  Everything about the book and it's characters felt so cliche that I was getting pretty bored there for awhile.  BUT THEN everything changes and you're swept away with the characters, completely caught up in an adventure that no one expected or even dreamed possible (that's why this is fiction, people).  I truly have to say that if you enjoy chick lit, and spend hours drooling over the possibility of being a princess, this book is for you!

For more fairy tale reinterpretations, check out these books or read these other modernized fairy tales by Elle Lothlorien.

Other Once a Time Books
Sleeping Beauty
Rapunzel (TBR Spring 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment