Sunday, May 23, 2010

Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve

I don't know why I keep torturing myself with Arthurian legends.  They are never written quite the way I wish they were, although I really shouldn't expect much 'happily ever after' from a legend with elements of incest, adultery and murder.  In any case - this one had promise as the main character was not legendary, but completely fictional.  A young girl is picked up by Merlin in his travels and becomes his companion and spy.  Sounds pretty good, right?  And it was for the most part.  I especially loved how dark it was.  Arthur was a grizzly, self-centered barbarian redeemable only in bardic song and legend.  If the book hadn't been so episodic and the romance so silly I probably would have loved it as it actually reminded me a little of Rosemary Sutcliff's  "The Shining Company".  Overall, not the worst rendition of Arthur but certainly not the best either.

2 comments:

  1. You know what I think Heather? You just need to write your own Arthurian legend. You write it how you think it should go. Afterall, you've probably read more of those kinds of stories, then anyone, to have an idea of what you want to hear about King Arthur. Go for it. I think its a great idea. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. It would probably start out right but end with lots of true love and rainbows and unicorns. I'd be slaughtered in reviews for my outrageous destruction of legend. Thanks for the vote of confidence though. :)

    ReplyDelete