Friday, May 14, 2010

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld ★

This is a four book series (I seem to be reading a lot of series lately . . . ) - Uglies, Pretties, Specials and Extras.  The first book was great as it reminded me a lot of other survival fiction I've read.  The strangest thing about these books though is that the main character is the most flawed and confused character throughout all four books.  Which isn't really something I'm used to.  Rather than thinking "Wow, she's so awesome I want to be just like her!"  I ended up thinking "YOU STUPID IDIOT!!  Stop ruining your life and wasting mine!"  So yeah . . . a little different but I can definitely understand why these won awards.  In short - Tally lives in a world where when you turn sixteen you have cosmetic surgery to make you pretty and perfect in every way thus ensuring a society free of jealousy, hate and war . . . or does it?  Thought provoking and fun, easy reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment