Monday, August 16, 2010

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

I'm usually a huge fan of books like this.  Basic plot: a group of teenage boys have their memories wiped and are thrown into a giant maze crawling with strange, deadly creatures called grievers. Figuring out why they're there, who created the maze and what will happen when or if they ever solve it is the challenge.  I understand that this might be an extremely confusing and traumatic experience for the boys; however, it really shouldn't be for the reader.  Over half the dialogue goes back and forth between "What's going on?!" and "Why won't anyone tell me what's going on?!"  The other half consists of something similar to "He thought he remembered something about his past but it terrified him so he decided not to share the information."  Not even with the reader, apparently.  Sadly, there is a second book.  Happily, I probably won't be reading it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to disagree with this assessment. I've read 2.5 of this series in under a month. It's thrilling, and I am hooked by the mystery.

    My only complaint is that the characters in the book are always exhausted, hungry, or worried. As a result, I feel these emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if my opinion of this book was affected by the fact that I listened to about 3/4 of it as an audio book (which I don't generally care for.) Per your review, I've decided to finish the series. :) I also think that what you said about the emotions in the book is definitely true and may have also been part of what drove me so crazy. But I'll give book two a shot and see how it goes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete