Monday, September 13, 2010

The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner ★

I've spent most of my life trying to stay away from the thriller/suspense/mystery genre mostly because Nancy Drew novels had me hiding under blankets for days as a child.  However, in an effort to continue to enrich my literature obsession with more variety (and more "adult" choices), I enlisted the help of my friend from Just let me finish this chapter . . . to help me find a mystery that I would enjoy that "isn't too scary."  Well this was definitely just the book!  I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that it spooked me a little but for a wuss like me that's nothing.

The book centers around a small family living in the Boston suburbs.  Family life is seemingly normal until one day Sandra, the wife and mother, disappears.  Her husband, rather than being grief stricken is uncooperative with detectives and their four year old daughter knows more than she's telling.  Getting to know this family and uncovering all their secrets was so much fun!  In fact, I had more fun reading this book than I've had reading a book lately.  I suppose that means I don't despise mysteries after all . . . as long as they aren't too scary . . . Thanks for the recommendation Bren!

1 comment: