Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner ★

I can't even pretend to have read every Newbery award winner out there; but I cannot believe I missed this one!  The Thief and its three companion books follow the adventures of a young man who claims he can steal anything.  Every book has a fun twist so you're constantly guessing if what you're reading is actually the whole story or if there is more that you're somehow missing.  Just by revealing the twist I feel I'm giving everything away since while I was reading the first book (and feeling a bit bored actually) I assumed I knew what was going on.  By the last few chapters, however, my head was reeling and I was more excited than I've been about a book in a long time.  This book definitely deserves its Newbery.    

The series, in order:

The Thief 
The Queen of Attolia 
The King of Attolia 
A Conspiracy of Kings

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I hung in there with the first book! The next two books more than made up for the "dragging" storyline in "The Thief". I cried, I laughed and I was amazed by the twisting, turning adventure in the plot. I can hardly wait to start reading "A Conspiracy of Kings", just to see what Eugenides has up his sleeve next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely thrilled that you stuck with it! These books are truly amazing if you can only get through the first 3/4 of book one. :) So glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete